Slips, trips and falls account for almost a third of non fatal injuries at work. It is a widely held belief that with just a few minor changes to working practices and attitudes this could be reduced significantly. This course will introduce you to some of the statistics relating to slips, trips and falls and dispel some of the myths surrounding them. It also touches on the law as it relates to slips, trips and falls. It contains real examples of where things have gone wrong and some practical steps that could have been taken to prevent these incidents. The course also covers some of the straightforward changes that can be made in most businesses to significantly reduce the risk of a slip, trip or fall incident occurring.
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
• Recognise that Slips, Trips and Falls are their own individual hazards in the workplace.
• Understand and apply current legislation and reflect on the duty of care between employer and employee.
• Recognise the seriousness of these risks to individuals and business.
• Identify the major causes of Slips, Trips and Falls and be able to create a task analysis to assess these risks.
• Apply to safety management systems to help reduce risk and also recognise human impact as a cause.
Facts and the Law
Slip Hazards: Causes and Controls
Trip Hazards: Causes and Controls